These delicious Italian pastries have a long history – being first mentioned in the 14th century in the Piemonte region of north west Italy. It was created in honour of the visit of the King of France.
Most regions of Italy have their version of Savoiardi from northern Italy to Sardegna. This pastry is the basis for making tiramisu’ and also zuppa inglese (trifle).
They are a sponge type biscuit, often dry and soft and in an oblong shape. Traditionally the egg whites are beaten separately to the egg yolks.
Savoiardi are great to soak up flavours of coffee or liqueur in making a dessert or to simply dip into your tea or coffee!
Well now you can try to make your very own savoiardi!
This recipe is the Abruzzo version given to me by my cousin Connie who now lives in Brisbane, Australia.
She makes it an easy way where all the ingredients are beaten together.
This recipe makes about 100 sponge fingers. You can make half the amount, reduce all ingredients by half.
1.5 cups sugar
1.5 cups vegetable oil (like sunflower, canola)
lemon zest of one lemon, and juice of one lemon
5 cups self raising flour
- Beat all the ingredients (except the flour) for 10 minutes, then fold in the flour with a spoon until mixed through.
- Be careful not to mix too long as the air will come out of the mix.
- Have a separate tray ready with 1/2 cup of caster sugar (fine sugar) and 1/2 cup of fine icing sugar.
- Using a tablespoon, take a small amount (a dessertspoon amount) of the mix and place into the sugar mix. Place it in a long shape or oval shape and using 2 dry spoons, toss the sugar around the savoiardi. You need to work lightly and quickly so that it retains its shape.
- Place them all on a tray with baking paper.
- Bake in hot oven 170 deg, for about 7 – 10 min or so. The time will vary, so you need to stand at oven and watch them rise as they turn quickly to being overcooked and dark.
- Remove from try and place on wire racks to cool.
ENJOY with a coffee, tea or sweet dessert liqueur!
Let the flavours transport you back to Italy!
Related Tag : Italy Vacations